According to a release from the UW-Madison, Cyanobacteria, or toxic blue-green algae blooms, were spotted Tuesday on Lake Mendota.
The blooms were seen in the area of the Memorial Union and Hoofers.
The school urges the campus community and the public to use caution along the shore and not swim at night when the blooms can't be seen.
Toxins released by blue-green algae can cause significant health risks, according to Public Health-Madison & Dane County. The algae blooms when there is little wind and hot temperatures combined with lake nutrients.
If you believe you have been exposed, contact your health care provider right away. You should also call Public Health at (608) 266-4821.
Symptoms of a reaction to algae blooms include eye, throat, nose or skin irritation, and problems such as vomiting or diarrhea. These symptoms can happen between several hours and a few days after being exposed.
The Wisconsin Department of Health Services advises the following:
--Avoid areas of water that look like paint or pea soup
--Don’t swim or wade through algae.
--Don’t fish in algae-laden waters.
--Always shower with soap after swimming in a lake, or wash your hands after coming in contact with lake water.
--Don’t let pets drink water, eat algae or lick it off their fur.
--Wash your pet with clean water if it has been exposed.