This is such a great way to give back to our community!
UW Health Kids is seeking volunteers - humans and dogs. They are launching the Caring Canines Program. This program will have volunteers "make bedside visits and provide a calming influence, cuddle time and a feeling of normalcy for patients and families during their stay at American Family Children's Hospital."
Prior to applying for the Caring Canines Program, volunteers must be at least 18 years of age, commit to at least one year of service and bring their dog to visit at least two times a month.
For dogs to participate they must be able to:
- Sit and lie down with only one command.
- Stay until you call him or her with only one command.
- Walk loosely on a leash and not pull, even when excited.
- Be friendly with other dogs.
- Be able to perform commands without treats as a reward.
- Not bark or whine too much.
- Be up to date on all vaccinations, including rabies.
To learn more or apply, please visit https://uwhealth.org/caring-canines.
I've been training my puppy, Manny, to do something like this! I love this.